Higher Achievement’s mentors are key partners to our scholars’ success, joining us each week to make a measurable and clear impact on the lives of young people.
Our mentors range from college students to retirees, coming from all kinds of personal and professional backgrounds. They comprise a rich network of community members who are invested in the neighborhoods where they work and live, and who believe that opportunities make all the difference. No teaching experience is required.
We are still recruiting mentors for the 2022-2023 school year (September 2022 – May 2023). Please complete an application ASAP and we will be in touch to set up an interview!
- Mentors work with a small group of scholars as they define and pursue their personal and educational goals, gain awareness of high school, college, and career options, and take steps to access those options through writing, reading, and critical thinking activities.
- Activities and support are provided; no experience is required!
- Mentoring takes place in person and COVID-19 vaccination is required
- Mentors commit to attending once per week from approximately 5:30-6:30 p.m. for at least one academic year (September-May). Days of the week vary by center (outlined below). We see greater success when mentors stay with their scholars for 2-4 years, versus one evening per week.
|Binford – Richmond FULL||Tuesday|
|Boushall – Richmond||Tuesday|
|Henderson – Richmond FULL||Tuesday|
|Highlandtown – Baltimore||Tuesday|
|Lakeland – Baltimore||Monday or Tuesday|
|Mount Royal – Baltimore||Tuesday|
|Alexandria – DC Metro, Alexandria FULL||Tuesday|
|Brookland – DC Metro FULL||Tuesday|
|Greenbelt – DC Metro, Prince George’s County FULL||Wednesday|
|Ward 1 – DC Metro FULL||Tuesday or Thursday|
|Ward 4 – DC Metro||Tuesday or Wednesday|
|Ward 6 – DC Metro FULL||Monday or Tuesday|
|Ward 7 – DC Metro||Wednesday|
|Ward 8 – DC Metro FULL||Wednesday|
The mentor experience
Mentors build relationships with the same group of scholars every week through academic enrichment and personal encouragement as someone who shows up for them, believes in them, and will stand by them as they work to secure their futures.
Higher Achievement facilitates a supportive, collaborative program that unites communities and gives volunteers the satisfaction of seeing the impact of their donated time firsthand.
Whether you’re looking to re-engage with service or are getting involved in your community for the first time, we’re happy to have you join us.
Becoming a mentor
- Submit an application by August 31, 2022
- After receiving your application, a Higher Achievement staff member will contact you to complete an informational phone interview
- Fulfill the clearance requirements for your center so you’re ready to meet your scholars
- Participate in a training session in September 2022 where you will receive all the tools needed to succeed